Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

SPEED BUMPS, everybody hits them.



I just won my first match since I started boxing. Yes, it's true. I won the fight with a decision (2 rounds to 1). I spent 2 months training for the amateur fight with another gym member. We were both in the 70 kilo bracket (I was 73, he weighed in at 77). The weight difference got me more excited, because it meant that there was more power behind his punches.

I never got to mention this at the start of this blog but I really established this goal of getting to my optimal weight of 72 kilograms by boxing, sticking to a steady diet (which I have to reinforce) and balancing work and play all at the same time. I also started this blog as reminder to myself that I am young, I am wild, I am smart but at the same time, I have every bit of potential as everyone else to make mistakes.

And mistakes I did commit, I call these mistakes, my speed bumps. Right now, I can think of 3 speed bumps that I continue to face.

1. Diet

I remember my coach telling me that when you do your workout, the ratio of the exercise and diet approximately goes 30-70. Yes, diet gets a bigger part of the whole work out routine because it is much harder to control and well, you don't have trainers shouting at you to move, do this, don't do that. When you are out of the gym, and you look up at the menu and see the biggest platter the joint has to offer, after a 3 hour training, you just can't help but tell yourself, "I have to get me one of those".

Just like that, 3 hours of sweat and maybe a little bit of tears, down the drain. Which will definitely follow for you after a few hours of lamenting over your monster meal.

2. Injuries (I'm still not sure, but I'm definitely attracting it)

I'm still not sure of it but I've been feeling pain (2 out of 10) for a month now, whenever I wake up and a few hours after workout or games (basketball, ultimate frisbee with MUC). I'll go to an ortho this monday, and I really have to get this looked at. I know, I should've done this a month ago.

The pain is bearable physically, but in another way, it affects me mentally. In a sense, it affects how I look and approach any work out. I can't give it my full effort, I can't sprint as fast as I know I can, I can't punch or twist or jump thinking that I might be making this (make believe) "minor" injury worse.

So that's that. I'll see the results this Monday. I'll keep you posted about this. Really affects you in a lot of ways. Even at work (my co-workers always comment on how I walk).

3. Rest

I'll have to say, and well, any expert out there will agree with me, that rest (SLEEP, warming up and stretching properly) is one of the most vital part of any person's workout. It works hand in hand with your diet, your mindset and your motivation to improve physically, mentally and even your appearance (good for your skin, your face, muscles and bones).

Now that I've explained the benefits of rest, I'll explain why I consider this as one of my speed bumps. Being a normal person, of sound mind and body (Yowzah!), I happened to overlook these benefits, and well, after 3 hours of grueling work out with the coaches, Jemu and the Koreans (shout out to Danilo and friends), I go out, drink, sleep late, and work for 10 hours then another 3 hours of boxing training Nirvana (or the opposite?).

Those are the 3 speed bumps that I have to overcome and quick, if I want to get another Victory on November when I get to fight again.

I'll update you on the progress of how I will overcome them. As of now, I can only think of 3, but I think there are still a lot more lurking in the shadow. But no worries, I'm dedicated to reaching my goal of 72 kilograms (btw, I'm already 73 kilograms since my last weigh in). When I reach this goal, the task only gets harder, because then, I'll have to keep it that way.

In all things, persevere,

Anthony Verrick Dones
mobile: 09175481201
email: anthonyverrickdones@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment